Thinking of moving to Hampton Roads?
What a great idea! This beautiful Coastal Virginia metropolitan area just cannot be beat. It is known for its high quality of life, affordable living, and an abundance of cultural, educational, and economic opportunities!
We know that relocating can be both exciting and overwhelming. Whether you are relocating for business, Military on the Move®, or simply moving because you love the area, a little preparation before you go can help reduce feeling or being overwhelmed.
To help you in your Hampton Roads move, we put together this quick relocation guide to make sure you start off with your best foot forward!
Looking for a relocation specialist? We do that! We have helped thousands of families and professionals successfully move to Hampton Roads. Contact us today or call toll-free at (888) 622-7356 to talk to our Hampton Roads Relocation Experts.
About Hampton Roads
Gorgeous coastlines, incredible landscaping, and years and years of history outpour from this unique Virginia community.
Before you start your Hampton Roads relocation journey, here are 12 great facts about Hampton Roads:
1. Hampton Roads is often referred to as "The Seven Cities", made up of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, and Virginia Beach
2. Chesapeake has more miles of deep water canals than any other city in the US.
3. Hampton is the country's first successively occupied English-speaking settlement and was established in the early 1600s.
4. Newport News is where renowned jazz artist Ella Fitzgerald was born, on April 25, 1917.
5. Norfolk is home to the world's largest naval base and is also the only North American headquarters for NATO
6. Portsmouth's largest employer is the Virginia International Gateway (VIG)
7. Suffolk has more than 30 sites listed on the National Register of Historic Places
8. Virginia Beach has the longest pleasure beach on the planet, as listed in the Guinness Book of World Records
9. Hampton Roads is second only to Silicon Valley in its per capita concentration of scientists and engineers
10. The average amount of rainfall in Hampton Roads is 44 inches
11. The model that developed the Internet started in Hampton Roads
12. Hampton Roads is home to the largest music festival on the East Coast, The American Music Festival
Ready to move to Hampton Roads? Great, let's get you ready!
Preparing to Move to Hampton Roads
Relocating anywhere can be a headache, but with a little preparation it can be a smooth process. Here are some things that you should know before you go:
Cost of Living
Based on Sperling's Best Places index, Hampton Roads is 6% under the national average in cost of living. With such a great score, Hampton Roads is among the most affordable places to live. This means lower housing costs, lower transportation costs, and cheaper food, entertainment, and healthcare costs!
Not only is Hampton Roads easier on your wallet, but it offers a high quality of life. In Old Dominion University's 2017 survey, they found that:
• 71.2% of those surveyed rated the overall quality of life as excellent or good
• 69.8% rated its Arts and Culture as excellent or good
Other studies have noted that Hampton Roads scores extremely highly in outdoor recreation and entertainment, and highly in career opportunities for young professionals.
The FBI has also consistently rated one Hampton Roads community as as one of the five safest communities (click here to find out which) of its size in the country.
It has never been a better time to look for work in Hampton Roads. Housing some of the Nation's most successful businesses, it is no secret that Hampton Roads is a great place to jump-start (or continue) your career!
As Virginia is an "Employment Will and Right to Work" state, it has a set of labor laws that attract both employers and employees alike. Furthermore, it only has one local taxing authority which allows Hampton Roads to have some of the lowest combined state and local taxes in the US.
Major Employers in Hampton Roads
• Sentara Healthcare
• Old Dominion University
• Norfolk Naval Shipyard
• College of William & Mary
• Naval Medical Center Portsmouth
• PRA Group
• NASA Langley Research Center
• Smithfield Foods
• The Colonial Williamsburg Foundation
• Measurement Specialties
• Bank of America
• BAE Systems Norfolk Ship Repair
• Bon Secours
• Chesapeake Regional Medical Center
If you want to find a great place for local Hampton Roads resources, check out our handy guide!
Finding housing in Hampton Roads is easy as 1-2-3! Known as the Coastal Jewel of Virginia, you will find a wide variety of Hampton Roads homes for sale as well as rentals in Hampton Roads.
Are you wondering how people find homes in Hampton Roads? We walk you through the process of how to find a home with this great infographic.
An area rich in history, you will find so many eclectic historic homes sprinkled throughout The Seven Cities. Keeping in mind that it was established in the early 1600s, it will be hard to find a home here that doesn't exude charm and character.
As one of the fastest growing metropolitan areas in Virginia, you will also find great new construction homes that include beautiful Virginia waterfront homes for sale, single-family homes, as well as gorgeous master-planned communities.
The best place to start looking for homes for sale is by looking through the latest Hampton Roads listings. Here you will find homes priced for every budget, for price conscious to luxury.
Not sure which community fits you the best yet? Read more about these Hampton Roads communities and browse listings:
• Norfolk Homes For Sale
• Virginia Beach Homes For Sale
• Chesapeake Homes For Sale
• Portsmouth Homes For Sale
• Suffolk Homes For Sale
• Newport News Homes For Sale
• Hampton Homes For Sale
• Williamsburg Homes For Sale
If you are looking for rentals instead, here are some great available rentals waiting for you to call them home.
Looking for Hampton Roads real estate? We have you covered - all the way from Norfolk down to Chesapeake. Get in touch with the leading Hampton Roads real estate agents to find your new home today!